History & Heraldry
In the beginning of the 17th
century the Portuguese tried to colonize the territory of todays’ Ceará. In 1534
a part of it was given as a fief to the De Barros family. In
1631 the Dutch started to invade the territory and established a captaincy
there in 1637 an making it a part of Nieuw Holland.
After the defeat of the Dutch in
1649 the Portuguese returned and incorporated the territory into Pernambuco.
In 1799 Ceará was separated from Pernambuco and had its own governor. After a
period of unrest it became a part of the Confederation
of Equador in 1825, which, in its turn was annexed by the Brazilian
Empire. Today Ceará is one of the states of the Federal Republic of Brazil.
In the time of the Empire the arms used by the provinces were the
Imperial Arms. At the proclamation of the Republic the states were granted the right to adopt their own
The arms of Ceará are adopted by Law n°
393 of 22 September 1897.
Vert, parted per bend, the dexter base strewn with five-pointed stars Argent,
and an oval shield showing the lighthouse of Mucuripe on the shore with a
rising sun, a sailing vessel, a tree and a bird in sinister chief.
Branches of tobacco and cotton.
The decree reads:
O povo do Estado de Ceará, por seus representantes, decretou e eu
promulgo a seguinte lei:
Art. 1.° - As armas do Estado serão representada por um escudo encimado
por um forte de antiga construcçao e desenhado da seguinte maneira: Uma
ellipse atraverssada poruma zona em sentido obliquo, da esquerda para a
direita, e semeada de estrellas, symbolisando os differentes municipios do
Estado, mostrará no centro do escudo, uma parte do litoral, comprehendida a
enseada, e o farol do Mucuripe; e um debuxo de passaro destacar-se-á do
angulo direito do mesmo escudo, cercando-o ramos de fumo e algodão, tudo
conforme o modelo annexo.
Art.2.° - Revogam-se as disposiçőes em contrario.-
Palacio da Presidencia do Ceará, em 22 de setembro de 1897, 9.° da
(a) Antonio Pinto Nogueira Accioly
Servindo de secetario, Cezidio d’Albuquerque
The Constitution of the Federation of 1934 abolished the
symbols of the states and their achievements were replaced by the national
The Federal Constitution of 1946 restored the autonomy
and also the achievements of the states.
Different versions are known, the bird
sometimes in sinister chief of the main shield. Often the garland is omitted.
Ceará is a part
of the 10th Military Region together with Piauí and
Maranhão (with the exception of the territories of the 8th RM)
headquarters are in Fortaleza (CE).
Hubert de Vries 2011-11-09
 Ribeiro, Clovis: Brazoes e Bandeiras do Brazil. Editoria Sao Paolo. Sao
Paolo, 1933. Pp.214-215