The region of today’s Para was invaded at the beginning of the 16th century by the Dutch and English. The Portuguese settled in 1616 with the foundation of Fort Presepio, later called Forte do Castelo at the bay of Guajara and being the origin of the city of Belém. In 1621 the territory became a part of the province of Maranhão and Grão-Para, created to improve the coastal defense. In the 17th century the region was very prosperous because of its trade-crops of coffee, rice, sugar, cocoa and tobacco. The union of Maranhão and Grão-Para was dissolved in 1774, at a time when the local economy stagnated. In the 19th century there were several rebellions against the Portuguese government amongst which was the popular movement of Cabanagem in 1835, resulting in the independence of the province and the installation of a new government in Belém.
On 1 December
1900, the french colony of Counani was ceded to Brazil, which incorporated it
into the state of Pará with the name of Araguari (named after the river of
the same name). Araguari remained a part of Pará until 1943 when it became
the time of the Empire the arms used by the provinces were the Imperial Arms.
At the proclamation of the Republic the states were granted the right to adopt their own achievements.
achievement used for the State of Pará in 1901consisted of the arms of the
city of Belém, crested with the arms of the Republic and supported by the
national flag on the dexter and the flag of Pará of 17 November 1889 on the
Arms of Belém, known from 1759
The present coat of arms of the Estado do Pará was created by the historian Henrique Santa Rosa and drawn by the artist José Castro Figueiredo. It was adopted by governor Augusto Montenegro by law n° 912 of 9 November 1903 It is:
Arms: Gules, a bend Argent, charged with a five-pointed star Azure.
Crest: A harpy eagle (Harpia harpyais - Accipitridæ) rising
Frame and Garland: Pink and Branches of the rubber- and cocoa trees
Title and Motto: ESTADO DO PARA / SUB LEGE PROGREDIAMUR (we prosper under the law).
ð See illustration in the head of this essay
The law reads:
Artigo 1º - Fica criado um
Escudo d'Armas para este Estado.
Parágrafo Único - O Escudo
será vermelho, cortado por uma faixa oblíqua branca da esquerda para direita,
com inclinação de 45°, tendo a mesma faixa ao centro uma estrela azul. Este
Escudo avulta sobre outro, recortado nas extremidades de fundo róseo,
encimando-o duas volutas ligadas a um pedestal, sobre o qual se vê uma altiva
águia guianense prestes a alçar vôo.
No último plano por trás da águia, destaca-se o
sol nascente. À base do escudo maior cruzam-se dois virentes ramos, um de
seringueira e outro de cacaueiro. O primeiro acompanhando à esquerda os
recortes do referido escudo e o segundo erguendo-se para a direita,
entrelaçando com uma fita amarela, que se alonga até a parte superior do
escudo sobre o qual se lê: “Sub lege progrediamur - Estado do Pará”.
Artigo 2º - Revogam-se as
disposições em contrário".
O Secretário de Justiça Interior
e Inscrição Pública assim a faça executar.
Palácio do Governo do Estado do Pará,
aos nove dias do mês de novembro do ano de mil novecentos e três - décimo
quinto da República.
and pink are the colors of Pará
white bend represents the north-south-diagonal of Brazil of which Pará is on
the northen end
single star symbolizes Pará as a state of
· The eagle symbolizes the greatness, nobility and realism of the population of Pará.
The rubber and cocoa branches symbolize the main
trade-crops of Pará
Brasiliensis - Euphorbiaceae
Theobroma cacao - Malvaceæ
The Constitution of the Federation of 1934 abolished the symbols of the
states and their achievements were replaced by the national emblem.
The Federal Constitution of 1946 restored the autonomy and also the achievements
of the states.
Pará is a part
of the together with the State of Amapá,
a part of the State of Tocantins bordered in the south by the communities of
Wanderlândia, Babaçulândia and Xambioá and the communities of Açailândia,
João Lisboa, Imperatriz, Amarante do Maranhão, Montes Altos, Sítio Novo,
Porto Franco, Estreito and Carolina, in the state of Maranhão.
headquarters are in Belém (PA).
© Hubert de Vries 2011-11-14
 Ribeiro, Clovis: Brazoes e Bandeiras do Brazil. Editoria Sao Paolo. Sao Paolo, 1933. P. 217