first appear in the records of the Novgorod Republic in the 12th century,
when Novgorodian traders travelled to the Perm region in search of furs and
animal hides. The Komi territories came under the influence of Muscovy in the
late Middle Ages (late 15th to early 16th centuries). The site of Syktyvkar
has been settled since the 16th century. It was known as Sysolskoye (Сысольскoe). In 1780, under Catherine the
Great, it was renamed to Ust-Sysolsk (Усть-Сысольск) and used as a penal colony.
coats of arms in the Komi Region appeared at the end of the 18th century when
Arkhangelsk was temporarily renamed Vologda and renamed Arkhangelsk Gubernorate
shortly after (1780-1784).
/ Vologodskoi Namesticestvo
Viceroyalty existed from 1780–1796. The seat of the Viceroyalty was located
viceroyalty was established by a decree (ukase) of Catherine II on 5
February [O.S. 25 January], 1780. It
was subdivided into three oblasts: Vologda, Veliky Ustyug, and Arkhangelsk.
The predecessor of Vologda Viceroyalty was Archangelgorod Governorate with
the seat in Arkhangelsk.
most of other governorates and viceroyalties established in the 1770s–1780s,
the establishment of Vologda Viceroyalty was a part of the reform attempting
to have a tighter control of local matters by the Russian autocracy The
reform, in turn, was facilitated by the Pugachev's Rebellion of 1774–1775
1784 and 1796, Vologda Viceroyalty bordered Arkhangelsk Viceroyalty in the
north, Tobolsk Viceroyalty in the northeast, Perm Viceroyalty in the east, Vyatka
Viceroyalty in the southeast, Kostroma and Yaroslavl Viceroyalties in the
south, Novgorod Viceroyalty in the southwest, and Olonets Viceroyalty in the
west. In terms of the modern political division of Russia, Vologda
Viceroyalty in this period comprised the areas of what is currently the
greater part of Vologda Oblast, as well as parts of the Komi Republic, Kostroma,
Kirov, and Nizhny Novgorod Oblasts.
viceroyalty was abolished by Emperor Paul I's decree on 23 December [O.S. 12 December], 1796. On the territory
of the viceroyalty (Vologda and Veliky Ustyug Oblasts) Vologda Governorate
The viceroy of Vologda and his coat
of arms, 1794 
dress of a white vest and trousers and a blue surcoat. Black shoes with
of arms of Vologda was granted on 2 October 1780, together with other emblems
of the Vologda governorship (PSZ RI, No. 15069). The description of the arms reads:
of Vologda has an old coat of arms. In the red field of the shield you can
see a hand emerging from the cloud holding a golden orb with a silver sword. This
is included in all the coats of arms in the first part of the shield
belonging to the Vologda Viceroyalty.”
/ Vologodskaia Gubernia
Governorate was officially created in 1796 from the disbanded Vologda
Viceroyalty (namestnichestvo) which was split between Arkhangelsk Viceroyalty
and Vologda Viceroyalty just before the new administrative reform.
Gules, an arm vested coming from a cloud on the sinister proper, keeping
an orb Or and a sword per bend proper in his hand.
Crown: A russian imperial crown
Garland: Branches of oak Or, tied with the ribbon Azure of the Order of St.
Coat of arms by law 1995, 2003, 2005
Oblast continues the use of the coat of arms of the governorate. An imperial
crown was added in chief in 1995:
the Vologda Oblast dated 11 October 1995 No. 35-OZ “On the coat of arms of
the Vologda Oblast”
Law “On the coat of arms of the Vologda Oblast” was amended by Law No. 947-03
of 23 September 2003. They are also reflected in the Certificate on making
the coat of arms in the State Heraldry Register under No. 101.
of the Vologda Region dated 24 March 2005 No. 1242-OZ amended Article 1. 
Коми Aвтономная Oбласть (Autonomous Region)
the expedition led by the geologist and paleontologist Alexander von
Keyserling in 1843, the present Komi territory was most extensively explored
in the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries by the Russians, who
found ample reservoirs of various minerals, as well as timber, to exploit.
founding of the Soviet Union, the Komi-Zyryan
Autonomous Oblast was established on 22 August 1921, and on 5 December
1936, it was reorganized into the Komi Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic
with its administrative center located at the town of Syktyvkar.
composed of parts of Arkhangelsk-,
Vologda-, Perm- and Viatska
Mezen / Мезенъ
Yarenski / Яренскъ
thirties the region lost for a time its say in a large part of its territory
which was then ruled by the OGPU (1923-‘34)/
NKVD (1934-‘41) itself.
OGPU emblem 1923-‘34
NKVD emblem 1934-‘41
í Many of the “settlers” who came in
the early 20th century were prisoners of the Gulag who were sent by the hundreds of thousands
to perform forced labor in the Arctic regions of the USSR. Towns sprang up
around labor-camp sites, which were initially carved out of the untouched
tundra and taiga by gangs of prisoners. The first mine, “Rudnik No. 1,”
became the city of Vorkuta, and the other towns of the region have similar
origins: “Prisoners planned and built all of the republic's major cities, not
just Ukhta but also Syktyvkar, Pechora, Vorkuta, and Inta. Prisoners built
Komi's railways and roads, as well as its original industrial
The coat of arms of the KOMI ASSR (Article 111 of the 1937 Constitution) was the coat of arms of Russia, but supplemented by the corresponding inscriptions in the Komi language: СТАВ СТРАНАЯССА ПРОЛЕТАРИЙЯС, OТУВТЧОЙ. The name of the republic looked the same in both Russian and Komi, so they were limited to one inscription КОМИ АССР
23, 1978, the Extraordinary VIII Session of the Supreme Council of the KASSR
of the 9th convocation approved the new Constitution of the KASSR. The flag
and coat of arms of the republic were described in Art. 158, 157. The coat of
arms was supplemented by a red star. The motto in the Komi language has
became "СТАВ МУВЫВСА ПРОЛЕТАРИЙЯС, OТУВТЧОЙ. The regulation on the coat of
arms was approved by Decree of the Presidium of the Armed Forces of the
Republic of 15 September 1981.
Коми Советская Социалистическая Республика
August 1990, the Declaration of Sovereignty and a new name, the Komi Soviet
Socialist Republic, were adopted. At that time, the emblem on official forms
was depicted with the inscription "Komi SSR".
Ć No picture available
May 1992, the name was changed into
competition for a new emblem lasted more than three years. Many projects
were presented. V. Serditov proposed to depict a bear in the center of
the coat of arms. The Komi consider a bear to be an incarnation of a deceased
human soul, the abode of the spirit of the ancestors of the Finno-Ugric
peoples. V.Punegov offered several options: an eagle owl (Bubo bubo), a man-elk-bird and a
heraldic shield with moose supporters. Not one of these projects has been
approved. In the end, the version of Anatoly Iosifovich Neverov
(Syktyvkar) was adopted. In May 1994, the coat of arms was finally
approved. They are:
Arms: Gules, a bird of prey guardant, wings expanded,
charged with a woman’s head surrounded by six elk-heads Or.
06.06.1994. Heraldic Register of the Russian Federation: n° 153
Ć See illustration in the head of
emblem of the Komi Republic is an image of a golden bird of prey, based on
the Perm animal style, placed on a red heraldic shield; on the bird’s chest
is a woman’s face framed by six elk heads. In the composition
“bird-man-moose”, made in the style of religious castings, the mythology of
the Komi is reflected.
traditional interpretation, a bird of prey with ajar wings is an image of the
sun, power, the upper world. The face of the woman on the chest of the bird
corresponds to the image of Zarni An (Golden Baba), the life-giving solar
goddess, mother of the world. The elk is associated with the idea of strength,
nobility and beauty. In cosmological representations, he carries a synthesis
of a harmonious structure of the world. The combination of gold and red of
the color scheme of the coat of arms, symbolizes morning, spring, warm sun,
motherhood and birth in Komi folklore.
with this, in the modern socio-political interpretation, the red field means
the activity of the people and the authorities, and in combination with the
form of the shield can be associated with the historical fate of the Komi
people, which is part of the multinational Russian state. At the same time,
the very figure of a bird with wings expanded has the form of a cross, which
can be interpreted as a symbol of spiritual and state power.
Bird and bear in Perm animal style 
golden bird of prey is a characteristic subject of the art of animal style in
the Bronze and especially the Iron Ages among a number of peoples, including
the Volga and Ural regions. It testifies that the ancient ancestors of the
Komi were located in the Vychegda basin in the first millennium. Elk heads on
the chest of the bird reinforce the ethnic origins of the Komi expressed by
the bird. Images of moose along with birds are often found in monuments of
the Perm animal style. The face of a woman, being a new stage in the
development of the art of Vychegoda Komi, is associated with a later stage in
the formation of this people, whose chronological framework ends in the 14th
same time, the bird is the personification of statehood and power, designed
to protect the homeland and people, to contribute to their development and
prosperity. Therefore, the bird is depicted on take-off. Open wings also
means hospitality, an invitation to cooperation. In general, the central
golden figure is a symbol of the goodwill and energy of the people. The
woman’s face symbolizes the life-giving solar goddess, the mother of the
world, the keeper of all that is holy and good. Elk - a symbol of strength,
nobility, beauty, and in cosmological representations the synthesis of the
harmonious structure of the world - organically fit into the feather pattern,
its image gives the bird pose stability and balance. The combination of gold
and red in the folklore of the Komi people is a symbol of the morning,
spring, warm sun, motherhood.
District; Knyazhpogostsky District; Kortkerossky
District; Troitsko-Pechorsky District; Udorsky District; Ust-Kulomsky
District; Ust-Tsilemsky District; Ust-Vymsky
Emblems of the ministry of internal affairs in the republic of Komi 
Coat of arms
Arms: Per fess Azure,
Vert and Argent, in the first the Komi National ornament, Or; in the base a
spruce branch Vert
Crest: The achievement
of the MVD
Motto: On a blue ribbon «СЛУЖИМ РОССИИ, СЛУЖИМ ЗАКОНУ». (Service of Russia, service of the law) in golden lettering
Arms The arms of the
Crest: The achievement
of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD).
Motto: A blue ribbon
with a golden inscription: “СЛУЖИМ РОССИИ, СЛУЖИМ ЗАКОНУ” (Service of
Russia, service of the law).
Badge size 46x30 mm
2012, the motto of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs “СЛУЖА ЗАКОНУ - СЛУЖИМ НАРОДУ” (Service to the law - service to
the people) was written on the ribbon of the coat of arms and on the ribbon
of the badge.
of the shield indicates that the emblem is a coat of arms of a territorial
body of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia.
shield of the coat of arms has the shape of the cockade on the headdresses of
police officers of the early twentieth century. It denotes the continuity of
generations of law enforcement advocates.
are of the flag of the Republic of Komi, borrowed from the coat of arms of
the city of Syktyvkar, the capital of the Republic of Komi.
Emblems of departments of the MVD in the republic of
CoA of the Department of
Information and Public Relations (OIOS) of the Ministry of Internal Affairs
in the Republic of Komi
CoA of the Department of
Organization of Inquiry (OOD) of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the Komi
CoA of the Office of the
Organization of the Protection of Public Order and Interaction with Executive
Bodies of the Komi Republic and Local Government (UOOOP)
CoA of the Office for
Economic Security and Anti-Corruption (UEBiPK) of the MVD in the Republic of
CoA of the Department for work with personnel of the MVD in the
Republic of Komi
CoA of the Center for
Economic and Service Support (TSHSO) of the MVD in the Republic of Komi
© Hubert de Vries 2019-11-02