U.S. Pacific Territory of Guam
WAS DISCOVERED BY THE SPANIARDS IN 1521 AND CEDED TO THE United States by the Treaty of Paris that ended the Spanish
American War in 1898. It was formally purchased from Spain for $ 20 million
in 1899. U.S. President William McKinley issued an executive order placing
Guam within the administration of the Department of Navy. Captain R. P. Leary
was appointed the island's first U.S. Governor.
On December 10, 1941 Guam surrendered to the
Japanese South Seas detachment forces and
became the only populated U.S. soil to be occupied by another country
in World War II. It was renamed "Omiya Jima" by the Japanese.
American forces landed on July 21, 1944 at Asan and
Agat beaches. After a bitter three-week campaign Guam was reclaimed and once
again came under American administration. Due to its strategic position, Guam
was used as a command post for U.S. Western Pacific operations until the War
concluded in 1945. On May 30, 1946, the U.S. Naval Government was
re-established. As the Westernmost U.S. soil in the Pacific, Guam today
remains a strategic outpost for the U.S. military. In 1949, U.S. President
Harry S. Truman signed the Organic Act making Guam an unincorporated
territory of the United States with limited self-governing authority, which
it remains today, and granting American Citizenship to the people of Guam.
The arms were adopted 4 July 1917, at the same time as the flag. Flag and arms were confirmed in 1931 and 1947 by the governos. It shows the island seen from the river Agana. On the shore on the right is a coconut palm and in the sea there is an outrigger canoe of the model used by the inhabitants of the island, the Chamorro. In the middle of the shield is the word GUAM in red lettering.
HEADQUARTERS & HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
GUAM ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
Shoulder sleeve Insignia
Distinctive Unit Insignia
Crest for coat of arms
On a pointed oval
shield, 5.08 cm in width and 7.62 cm in height overall, and within an 0.32 cm
scarlet border, a landscape similar to that depicted in the coat of arms of
Guam, with sky and sea in light blue, land areas green, palm tree with green
foliage and brown trunk and in left foreground a canoe in brown with white
The design is
based on the coat of arms of Guam, showing land, sea and sky, with an ancient
flying proa (canoe) approaching the beach near the mouth of the Agana River,
and a palm tree in the foreground. The shape of the insignia is that of the
sling stones used by the ancient Chamorros in hunting and fighting.
sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Guam Army National Guard on
26 May 1981. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment,
Territorial Command, Guam Army National Guard effective 30 December 1983. The
insignia was amended to correct the height of the insignia and update the
description on 3 December 2001.
Unit Insignia. Description: A gold color and metal enamel device 2.86 cm in width overall
consisting of a scarlet arch with the motto "A'
ADAHEN I TANO"
in gold letters enclosing a triple arch gateway of the Spanish colonial
period in gold metal with gold demi-sun on a blue field behind it and green
field within the gateway arches, all upon a heraldic torse of gold and blue.
The gateway, its
center gates open to the horizon, symbolizes the Guam seat of government and
its accessibility to the Guamanian people. The demi-sun alludes to the fact
that, in terms of time, Guam lies half a day ahead of the continental United
States. The archway is borrowed from the upper half of the border of the
official Guam seal (the basis for the Guam Army National Guard shoulder
sleeve insignia) to signify support. The red of the arch refers to the fact
that Guam fell under enemy occupation, and Guamanians died for the American
cause in World War II. The motto means "Guardians of the Land."
unit insignia was originally approved for the Guam Army National Guard on 10
September 1984. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters
Detachment, Territorial Command, Guam Army National Guard on 18 December
regiments and separate battalions of the Guam Army National Guard: From a
wreath of colors, a demi-sun Or bearing a stylized shield Gules, charged with
a triton shell Proper, all superimposed by a triple-arched gateway of the
Spanish period, also Proper.
gateway is a symbol of Guam. The demi-sun alludes to the fact that, in terms of
time, Guam lies half a day ahead of the continental United States. The stylized
shield-shaped, adapted from the Great Seal of the Territory of Guam, suggests
a traditional Chamorros weapon. Red, denoting courage and sacrifice, honors
the Guamanians who died for the American cause in World War II. The triton is
native to Micronesia and has traditionally been fashioned into signal horns,
symbolizing vigilance and military preparedness.
The crest was
approved for the Territory of Guam on 29 September 1993.
The Guam Police
Department was created in 1949. Prior to this, law enforcement on Guam was
handled by the U.S. Navy administered Guam Insular Guard and the civilian run
Guam Insular Patrol Force
© Hubert de Vries 2009-12-21
 Smith, Whitney: The Flag Book of the United States.